To insure the safety of all participants and MLI team members, the Spring 2021 Seminar has been moved to August.
A basic premise of the Midwest Leadership Institute is that successful outcomes in local government require a deep understanding of interpersonal leadership. The ability to understand individual and organizational behavior and the ability to diagnose why people act the way they do is crucial. The courage and discipline to admit when you do not know what you do not know, which requires you to know yourself and your emotions, is also a focus of the Institute.
|Date:||August 23 – 27, 2021|
|Location:||NIU Naperville Campus, 1120 E. Diehl Road, Naperville, IL|
|Cost:||1 person - $2,299|
|2 – 5 people - $2,070|
|6 or more people - $1,950|
Who Should Attend
Local government professionals including chief administrative officers, assistants, and department heads interested in advancing their career who would like to:
- Thrive in an increasingly complex world with multiple personalities, competing self- interests, questionable ethics and the prominence of the information age.
- Function in a complex world with challenges facing local government professionals that can make leaders feel like the healthiest person in the emergency room.
- Implement sound judgment, an important concept of the Institute, which will help guard against blind pathology and acting without the proper analysis.
The Institute customizes learning to the needs of the participants. Learning in teams focusing on real world local government scenarios is a critical component of the Institute.
The Institute is an intensive 4.5 day program with both an internal self-focus and an external organizational focus. The Institute consists of nine learning pods including lectures, exercises, team discussions and team presentations.
The nine learning pods are as follows:
- Leadership in the New Order of Things and Fundamental Concept for Leading People
- Judgment – The Foundation to Successful Leadership
- Emotions – The Ultimate Motivator
- Self-Awareness – Overlook at your Own Risk
- Resistance, Motivation and Performance
- The Unique Challenges of Public Sector Ethics
- Groups Committing to Reality
- Aligning Goals, Tasks and Relationships
- Balancing the Competing Needs of Work, Family and Self
A cross-disciplinary team of leading local government practitioners and experts in executive coaching and leadership development presents the program.
- David E. Morrison, M.D.
- Daven Morrison, M.D.
- David M. Limardi, MPA, ICMA-CM, Managing Director, Limardi Consulting, LLC
- Robert Kiely, MPA, ICMA-CM
- Dawn S. Peters, MPA, Assistant Director, Center for Governmental Studies, Northern Illinois University